Improving Lives with Cat & Dog Surgery in Boca Raton, FL
Almost every pet will go through surgery at least once in their lifetime, with spay and neuter surgery being the most common. Yet, there are many other surgeries pets commonly go through, whether for preventive or corrective measures. Surgery often improves their quality of life and helps them live more fully. At Boca Palms Animal Hospital, Boca Raton, we perform each procedure with the highest level of safety possible to ensure the best outcome for every patient.
8 Ways We Make Pet Surgery as Safe as Possible
Our commitment to your pet’s safety and comfort is no more apparent than when we perform surgeries. To keep risks to an absolute minimum, we:
- Perform a physical exam and blood work to assess your pet’s health and build a suitable protocol for their anesthetic, pain control, and post-op care
- Place an IV catheter right before surgery to maintain hydration and support blood pressure
- Assign a dedicated veterinary technician to your pet to monitor their heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, oxygen levels, respiratory rate, and more
- Use warming systems to regulate your pet’s body temperature
- Provide pain relief medication before, during, and after the surgery
- Keep a technician at your pet’s side as they wake up from the anesthesia
- Can provide overnight hospitalization if needed to monitor your pet
- Make follow-up calls to check in on your pet while they recover at home
Companion Laser Therapy
Laser therapy has become a part of our post-surgical pain and wound treatment protocols. Laser Therapy is an FDA-cleared modality that reduces inflammation and that results in pain reduction. Laser Therapy is effective in treating acute pain and post-operative pain.
Laser therapy treatment is safe, painless, and fast. Treatments to deeper tissues are administered in 5 to 10 minutes. Laser therapy utilizes the body’s own healing powers by stimulating cellular activity. Despite short treatment times, laser therapy treatments initiate a healing process that continues to actively reduce inflammation for up to 24 hours after treatment.
Companion therapy lasers are the most popular among veterinarians. Laser therapy is a clinically proven modality in both human and veterinary medicine.
Orthopedic and Soft Tissue Surgeries
Dogs and cats can benefit from the wide range of surgeries our veterinarians can perform, which include:
- Routine spay and neuter
- Cyst and tumor removal
- Skin tag removal
- Various eye surgeries
- Foreign body removal
- Bladder stone removal
- TPLO and tightrope CCL (orthopedics)
- Oral surgery
- Wound repair
- Abdominal exploratory surgery
Advanced Surgery and Orthopedics
For more specialized soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries, we partner with the most well respected board-certified, veterinary surgeons in Boca Raton, FL. These surgeons assist with many advanced cases, such as TPLO surgery for ACL tears.
If your pet might need a more advanced surgical procedure, contact us at 561-395-4030 so we can arrange an appointment with the best surgeon.
Tips for a Smooth Post-Op Recovery
After every surgery, we provide specific instructions for recovery based on your pet’s procedure and their individual needs. Yet for every surgery, the key is to keep them comfortable and prevent any overexertion.
Helpful tips for post-op recovery include:
- Prevent your pet from running and jumping for at least the first 10 days following surgery, but possibly longer depending on their procedure and rate of healing.
- Don’t let your pet take any baths or go swimming until their stitches have been removed.
- Outfit your pet in an e-collar or fitted t-shirt or onesie to prevent your pet from licking and scratching at their incision.
- Check your pet’s incision daily for redness, swelling, discharge, hardening, or odor.
Contact us if you have any concerns or questions about your pet’s recovery at 561-395-4030