At Boca Palms Animal Hospital, Boca Raton, knows that best friends come in all shapes and sizes and that’s why in addition to dogs and cats, we provide comprehensive care for small mammals along with various reptiles and amphibians, including:
- Birds (Parrots, Cockatiels, Canaries, Pigeons, Chickens, Waterfowl, Raptors, Mynah Birds, Toucans, Macaws, etc.). Establishing a relationship with an Avian Vet can gurantee your feathery friend receives the best possible care!
- Rodents (Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Hamsters, Rats, Gerbils, & Mice)
- Carnivores (Ferrets, Skunks, Kinkajous, Coatimundis, etc.)
- Sugar Gliders
- Chelonians (Turtles & Tortoises)
- Lizards (Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Geckos, Monitors, Tegus, etc.)
- Non-venomous Snakes (venomous snakes on a case-by-case basis with our Reptile Vet)
- Amphibians (Frogs, Toads, Salamanders, Axolotls, Newts, etc.)
- Invertebrates (Hermit Crabs, Spiders, etc.)
Services Provided by Our Exotic Vets
Services our veterinarians provide to exotic pets include:
- Well pet exams
- Sick pet exams
- Nail trims
- Diagnostics (blood work/urinalysis, digital X-ray and ultrasound)
- Euthanasia and after-life care
Common Issues for Exotic Pets
Our exotic vets are familiar with many of the common problems reptiles and small mammals face. Unfortunately, many health problems are the result of improper husbandry. Taking care of an exotic pet requires a unique approach for every species. During your pet’s wellness visit, your exotic vet will talk to you about your individual pet’s husbandry needs and make sure they’re getting the care they require at home!
We’ll cover a lot of topics when you visit us with your exotic pet, including:
Your pet’s diet needs to include all the nutrients they would normally get in the wild. They should be fed a diet as close to their natural diet as possible, such as hay for rabbits or whole mice in the case of snakes. In many cases, it is best to add supplements, like calcium for bearded dragons.
Have any questions about your pet’s unique needs? Don’t hesitate to give us a call at 561-395-4030! We’ll be happy to help.